Raul Torrao, attorney at Sequor Law, focuses his practice on asset recovery and financial fraud. He represents individuals, corporations, governments, and trustees in domestic and international judgment collection matters; in litigation to recover assets that were concealed, fraudulently transferred, or otherwise misappropriated; in actions to collect evidence for use in foreign proceedings under 28 U.S.C. § 1782; and in other commercial disputes.
Prior to joining Sequor Law, Raul practiced law in Brazil at a law firm in Sao Paulo, representing both domestic and foreign corporate entities in a broad range of matters, such as contract disputes, commercial litigation, enforcement of judgments, aviation law, and transactional matters.
As a native Portuguese speaker experienced in Brazilian law and fluent in Spanish, Raul brings a unique skill set to effectively assist Sequor Law’s international client base in its multijurisdictional matters.
Raul has been regularly invited to speak in the course Doing Business in Latin America, taught at the University of Miami School of Law, to discuss issues foreign investors face when doing business in Brazil.
Raul is admitted to all Florida state courts and Brazilian courts, as well as to the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida and the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this – you haven’t.” ― Thomas Edison
As of 2019, Raul Torrao is Board Certified in International Litigation and Arbitration by the Florida Bar.
Desde 2019, Raul Torrao está certificado pela Ordem dos Advogados da Flórida como especialista em Litígio e Arbitragem Internacionais.
- J.D. / LL.M. in International Law, University of Miami (Cum Laude, 2019)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award, Doing Business in Latin America
- Member of the International Moot Court Program
- 2nd Best Claimant Brief, Moot Madrid Arbitraje y Derecho Mercantil 2018
- Secretary, International Law Society
- Dean’s Fellow
- Bachelor of Laws, Damasio de Jesus School of Law, Brazil (2013)
- Top 1% of graduating class
- The Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- The Brazilian Bar
- Co-author, “The mechanics of the UNCITRAL Model Law on Enterprise Group Insolvency,” Global Restructuring Review, December 04, 2019.
- Co-author, “Chapter 7: International Litigation” in “International Law Deskbook 2020”. The International Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2020.
- Co-author, “Chapter 4: What are Section 1782 Foreign or International Tribunals Outside the Arbitral Setting?” in “Obtaining Evidence for Use in International Tribunals under 28 U.S.C. § 1782”. Juris, 2020.
- Speaker, Doing Business in Latin America, University of Miami School of Law (2017 – 2019).