Carolina Goncalves, an attorney at Sequor Law, focuses her practice on asset recovery and financial fraud. She represents individuals, governments, and other entities in domestic and international judgment collection matters; cross-border insolvency proceedings under Chapter 15 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code; actions to collect evidence for use in foreign proceedings under 28 U.S.C. § 1782; and other commercial disputes. She has represented U.S. and foreign clients in complex disputes before state and federal trial courts and in arbitration proceedings.
Prior to joining Sequor Law, Carolina practiced commercial and international litigation at a boutique law firm in Miami. Carolina has handled a variety of matters, including breach of contract, intellectual property, class action, professional liability, FCPA compliance, and other white-collar defense cases. In 2018, she obtained a favorable jury verdict for a Miami-based corporation in a weeklong jury trial against a Latin American corporation. Carolina has also successfully petitioned to international law enforcement organizations on her clients’ behalf and worked with domestic and foreign entities to develop and implement anti-bribery compliance programs.
Carolina is a native Spanish speaker, fluent in English, and also speaks Portuguese. She has extensive experience working with an international client base.
Carolina graduated with honors in 2016 from Emory University School of Law, where she obtained her J.D. degree. She was on the Dean’s List, a Merit Scholarship Recipient, and was the Executive Managing Editor of Emory International Law Review. Carolina was also intern to the Hon. Leo M. Gordon, U.S. Court of International Trade. In 2013 she obtained her B.A. in Political Science and Anthropology with a minor in Latin American Studies from the University of Notre Dame, where she was also on the Dean’s List. Carolina spent the fall of 2011 at Universidade Federal da Bahia, pursuing concentrations in Anthropology and Latin American Studies.
Carolina is admitted to practice in all Florida state courts and the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. She is a member of the International Law, Trial Lawyers, and Business Law Sections of the Florida Bar.
“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin
As of 2019, Carolina Goncalves is Board Certified in International Litigation and Arbitration by the Florida Bar.
Desde 2019, Carolina Goncalves está certificado pela Ordem dos Advogados da Flórida como especialista em Litígio e Arbitragem Internacionais.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D. (with Honors, 2016)
- Dean’s List
- Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Executive Managing Editor, Emory International Law Review
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. Political Science and Anthropology (2013)
- Minor in Latin American Studies
- Universidade Federal da Bahio (UFBA) (Fall 2013)
- Minor in Latin American Studies
- Universidade Federal da Bahia (UFBA) (Fall 2011)
- Concentrations in Anthropology and Latin American Studies
- Florida State Courts
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida
Professional Associations & Memberships
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL)
- International Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Business Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Trial Lawyers Section of the Florida Bar
Honors / Achievements
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2021
- “The UN’s latest attempt to assist international insolvency practitioners,” co-authored with Leyza Blanco, published in the Global Restructuring Review, July 13, 2020, https://www.sequorlaw.com/news-release/the-uns-latest-attempt-to-assist-international-insolvency-practitioners